In this episode, Romain Guy from Google gives us the lowdown on a bunch of Hardware related stuff.
He starts off by explaining how the refresh rates on screens matter, what it would mean to have something like a 120Hz display for Android screens, how things like V-Sync and double buffering work, using different screen technologies, how much work is done by the CPU and GPU and so much more.
This was one of those episodes where we tried so hard to hold back for fear of recording for another 2 more hours. Romain is clearly one of the most knowledgable and interesting engineers to talk to today in the hardware land of Android. What a blast!
Screens, refreshing/rednering Color
- Fragmented 91 – Reddit AMA
- Romain on Reddit being spoiled by 120Hz
- What is V-Sync (pcworld.com) and Screen tearing (Wikipedia)
- Three-two pull down technique (filmaking) (wikipedia)
- OLED vs AMOLED (quora.com)
- OLED vs LCD (quora.com)
- Romain Guy’s 2017 IO Talk on Colors fundamentals YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO WATCH THIS!!