We kick off 2017 talking to Uber Engineer Gautam. In first part of this 2 part series, Gautam talks to us about the Uber Android app, the complexity in the architecture, the scaling challenges, the pain points Android developers faced working on such a massive app.
He then goes on to explain how his team (Android Developer Experience) at Uber have approached these challenges and come up with elegant solutions.
We then dive head deep into Buck – the build system for Android development, it’s advantages and the benefits that the folks at Uber have observed having migrated.
- Buck overview (Facebook/Uber)
- Bazel (Google)
- Pants (Twitter)
- Android test app comparing different build systems [github.com]
- okBuck (adopting Buck easily) [github.com]
- Buck – Exopackage
- What makes Buck so fast
- Gautam’s talk on okBuck at Droidcon NYC [youtube.com] (Slides)
- @kageiit [twitter.com]
- @fragmentedcast [twitter.com]
- @donnfelker and +DonnFelker
- @kaushikgopal and +KaushikGopalIsMe
Continue reading 068: Talking Buck with Uber engineer Gautam Korlam