In this episode, we talk to Philip Simpson, one of the rockstar developers of the amazing Pocket Casts Android Application. We learn about how Philip and his partner, Russell, started Shifty Jelly and how they grew their team from a two-person shop to a small staff all while creating one of top apps on Google Play, Pocket Casts. We also talk about some of the tools, tips and tricks that they’ve used to help them scale, grow and become more effective as indie app developers. We eventually hop into some deep talk about audio software and all kinds of tech in general. If you’ve always wondered what it takes to be an indie app developer then this is the episode for you – Philip does not let us down.
- Pocket Casts
- Pocket Weather (for Australia) [play.google.com]
- Phil’s stuff
- Marco Arment
- Pocket Cast Web client [play.pocketcasts.com]
- Pocket cast gets sync [lifehacker.com]
- Pocket Casts supporting service:
- Android latency:
- Android latency problem [superpowered.com]
- The Tonight show starring Jimmy Fallon (with Billy Joel) [youtube.com]
- Looper app (iOS only :( )
- Pocket Casts 3rd party libs
- StartUp podcast (by Gimlet media) [gimletmedia.com]
- Android Device Dashboard (showing OS breakup)
- Android tool for mac [github.com]
- Makes it easy to take screenshots, videos, run scripts, bug reports..
- 37 Signals – Getting Real [37signals.com]
- A book Phil read when we were starting Shifty Jelly
- Sidekick By HubSpot [getsidekick.com]
- Allows you to see when someone has opened your email etc.
- Tim Ferriss Show with Noah Kagan [fourhourworkweek.com]
- Great productivity hacks for everything and overall great show
- Grammarly Chrome Extension [chrome.google.com]
- Fix your grammatical errors before the internet fixes them for you.
- 10 Lessons from 4 Years Working Remotely [whenihavetime.com]